Q. "Are there Legions of Angels?"
Yes, there are Legions of Angels. Jesus spoke of twelve Legions of Angels that were available to Him.
And behold, one of those who accompanied Jesus put his hand to his sword, drew it, and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his ear. Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its sheath, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword. Do you think that I cannot call upon my Father and he will not provide me at this moment with more than twelve legions of angels? (Matthew 26:52-53)
But never forget, the Demon has also Legions also. Remember when Jesus went to exorcise the man of the demon that dwelt among the tombs that could not be contained with a chain?
"Catching sight of Jesus from a distance, he ran up and prostrated himself before him,
crying out in a loud voice, “What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me!” (He had been saying to him, “Unclean spirit, come out of the man!”) He asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “Legion is my name. There are many of us.” (Mark 5: 6-10)
So we know Legions of Angels exist, both on the side of God and on the side of the devil.
Q. "How many are in a Legion?"
We are not given the number directly by God, but perhaps if we look at Roman Legions at the time, we can guess by an indirect way.
During the time of Jesus a Roman Legion was approximately 5000 soldiers. This would definitely qualify as "many". Jesus could command 12 Legions which is 5000x12=60,000. angels.
Q. "Who get's access to a Legion?"
Jesus was Priest, Prophet and King, and He definitely had access to the Legions of Angels, but Jesus also prayed and interceded for his disciples. Jesus prayed a lot for others before His Passion. He gave us the Our Father prayer, He prayed for His disciples when they were weak, He went off alone to pray and He spent all night in prayer. So those that act in this life as a Priest, Prophet, King, or Intercessory Prayer Warrior are those that have immediate access to a Legion of Angels. So all Catholic Priests have access to an Angelic Legion that they can call in times of danger. Also those that lead or rule over nations have access to aLegion. In addition, those that pray and intercede to the Father for others through the blood and Passion of Jesus also have access to an Angelic Legion.
Q. "Don't those that serve the poor and the Church get a Legion?"
We can ask God for any good thing for us, but usually those that serve out of love of their heart, their Guardian Angel is sufficient protection.
Q. Why do Priests, Intercessors (Prayer Warriors) and Rulers need a Legion?
Priests are greatly hated by the devil because of the celebration of the Holy Mass. Also when a Priest has his hands anointed at the time of his ordination, the Honor of God is placed on His hands and as a result, when the Priest celebrates or administers the Sacraments, no matter the state of the soul of the Priest, God will always honor the work done through the Hands of the Priest. If a Priest obeys the Church and with good faith performs the Sacraments, they can not be invalidated. So the devil in no way can invalidate the Sacraments, he can only try to persuade souls to stay away from them.
Prayer warriors, snatch souls directly from the devil's hands, and even plead to God before the souls judgement at the Holy Mass and take away the accusers power to seek a soul for all eternity into hell. If a prayer warrior is in a state of grace, and participates in the Holy Mass, and when the heavens are opened at the word of the Priest, then the warrior pleads to God in Heaven for souls not to be lost. By seeking the conversion of the blackest hearts, the devil is completely impotent and can do nothing.
Rulers of Nations also have great enemies and if they are friends with God can seek an Angelic Legion to protect them in times of danger.
Q. " How do we use our Legion?"
1) Your Guardian Angel is in charge of your Legion. You should always respect the place of your Guardian Angel as the primary Angel chosen by God to protect, lead and guide you to heaven. So any placement of your Legion or sending out an angel from your Legion, must be done through your Guardian Angel.
2) You can ask your Guardian Angel to place your Legion around you in times of danger, or when you are vulnerable, like at night when you sleep.
3) You can send out an Angel from your Legion to one who is in danger, or whom you wish to provide extra protection. Padre Pio did this often. However, I have to warn you, if you send out an Angel from your Legion, do not FORGET TO RETRIEVE HIM. God will honor your word and if you do not retrieve your Legion Angel, that angel will be with that soul for all eternity.
Q. "When are times when I need to use my Legion?"
1) If you are praying for the souls in Purgatory in a cemetery, (day or night) before you get out of your vehicle, ask your Guardian Angel to place the Legion around you. It is no coincidence that ghost hunters go to cemeteries and get results. These are not heavenly angels they are encountering, but demonic ones.
(Article: "Demon's Don't Carry Identity Cards.")
Also we have to be aware that souls that die in mortal sin are condemned souls and can also seek us harm. Use your Legion.
We are not to fear, we are to strive forward, fighting the good fight, even though we are given knowledge of the danger is around is. God WILL DEFEND US! Never doubt it.
2) When you are vulnerable, or feel uneasy. If you are sleeping, before you go to sleep ask that your Guardian Angel place the Legion around you. Sometimes I take a catnap in my car, I definitely use my Legion at this time.
3) Priests should use their Legion anytime they are not on holy ground going out to administer sacraments to the sick, etc.
The angels are a wonderful creation of God, don't be afraid to use this gift for your protection and the good of others. Angels are the most underused gift that God has given us.